In today’s digital world, search engine optimization (SEO) is a vital component of any successful online marketing strategy. With more than 70% of clicks going to the top five results in search engines, businesses need to stay ahead of the competition by implementing effective SEO practices.
Technical SEO, in particular, is a subset of SEO that focuses on the technical aspects of a website’s structure and configuration. To help you navigate this complex area, here are the top 20 technical SEO marketing terms you need to know.
- Crawlability – Refers to the ability of search engine crawlers to access and navigate a website’s pages.
- Indexability – Refers to the ability of search engines to include a website’s pages in their index.
- Sitemap – A file that provides a map of a website’s pages and helps search engines navigate and index them.
- Robots.txt – A file that tells search engines which pages of a website to crawl and which to exclude.
- Canonicalization – Refers to the process of choosing the preferred URL for a page when there are multiple versions of the same content.
- Schema markup – A code that helps search engines understand the content of a website and display it in search results.
- HTTPS – A secure version of the HTTP protocol that encrypts data exchanged between a website and its visitors.
- Page speed – The time it takes for a page to load on a website.
- Mobile-friendliness – The ability of a website to provide a good user experience on mobile devices.
- Structured data – A standardized format for providing information about a page’s content to search engines.
- XML sitemap – A sitemap that is specifically designed for search engines.
- Hreflang – A tag that indicates the language and location of a page to search engines.
- Redirects – The process of sending a user from one URL to another.
- Broken links – Links on a website that no longer work or lead to a 404 error page.
- Meta tags – HTML tags that provide information about a page’s content to search engines.
- Alt tags – HTML tags that describe images on a website to search engines.
- Duplicate content – Content that appears in more than one location on a website or across multiple websites.
- Anchor text – The text that appears as a hyperlink on a website.
- Backlinks – Links from other websites that point to a website.
- Keyword research – The process of identifying the most relevant and profitable keywords to target for a website.
In conclusion, technical SEO is a complex but essential component of any successful online marketing strategy. By understanding these 20 technical SEO marketing terms, you will be better equipped to optimize your website for search engines, drive more traffic, and ultimately, achieve your business goals.